Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Safety Dance

We have a lot of foot and bike traffic outside our home at all hours of the day and night due to our location being convenient to Sac State and also the Arco.  Most of the young passersby at least have headphones stuffed in their ears and many are also busy texting or doing something which involves unbroken focus on a smartphone.  So they stride by, heads down, fingers texting furiously, deaf to the sounds of the outside world.  I fear that someday one of them will walk straight into my open car door while I'm unloading the kids.  Well, I don't technically "fear" it, I actually kind of "hope" for it.

Anyway, last week a guy went by in the usual fashion with headphones stuffed in his ears.

He was also texting.

He was also riding a bike.

In the street.

At 11:30 at night.

I just don't know what to think about that.

No comments: