Thursday, March 6, 2008

Grab-oids!

My brother requested an inspiring story from my childhood. This isn't really inspiring, but it's a fond memory for me.

It was summertime and the living was easy. I mean, it was summertime and we were out of school and bored out of our minds. We rented "Tremors" from the Pollock Pines Select Video Store, mixed up a pitcher of Kool-Aid, and settled in for a lazy afternoon in front of the boob tube.

For some reason, mom was letting us drink as much Kool-Aid as we wanted that day. So we guzzled glass after glass after glass.

Maybe it was too much sugar for one day. It might have been the intoxicating flavor of Mountain Berry Punch (a flavor Kool-Aid no longer makes - curse you!). It might have just been the silliness of a brother and sister just kicking it in the grand room with nothing else to do. But "Tremors" seemed like THE BEST MOVIE of all time!

It had action and guns. It was funny. It was gross and scary and suspenseful all at the same time. Oh, and there was a lot of swearing in it. Way more than movies than we were normally allowed to watch.

I have such a big warm fuzzy surrounding my memory of that afternoon that it was a shock when Brett told me that "Tremors" really isn't a very good movie. I watch it now and I still love it.

Oh yeah, I watch it now because when Brett saw it on clearance at Blockbuster, he bought it for me. Even though he thinks it's lame. I love my guy.

So, what are the lame movies you cherish?

("Goonies" springs to mind, as well.)

1 comment:

Shauna said...

I love the movie Legend. Jesse swears it's the gayest thing ever. But because I have such fond memories watching it when I was younger, it makes it awesome somehow even now.