Friday, October 5, 2012

Clue, Zoolander, and a brush with celebrity

It started when a certain family member watched for the first-time, and did not enjoy, the movie Clue.  Certain other members of the family were aghast that anyone would not enjoy Clue.  Then the discussion drifted to other movies, comedies specifically, which were held in high esteem by some and loathed by others.  Zoolander was mentioned as one example and indeed it had even polarized a married couple who generally share the same taste in movies.

My favorite movie critic, Eric D. Snider (www.ericdsnider.com) write a column called "Re-Views" in which he re-watches movies to which he had given extremely favorable or unfavorable reviews when they were first released.  He then offers his opinion about how well the movie has stood the test of time and whether he responded the same way upon a subsequent viewing, usually about a decade later.  He's an open-minded fellow like that.

I remember not liking Zoolander when I saw it in the theater and so I was very surprised to see that Eric D. Snider had given it high marks.  So, I e-mailed him for some more information.  And he e-mailed me back!

Here's how our exchange went:

Our family is having a lively facebook debate about the merits of Zoolander.  I thought I'd check to see what you thought of it and I see you gave it an A.  Have you re-viewed this one?  I'm wondering if it stood the test of time.  Most of the family who didn't like it just don't care for Ben Stiller.  I generally like Ben Stiller but didn't think Zoolander was funny.  The side of the family who enjoyed it the first time still maintain it is one of the funniest movies OF ALL TIME!!!1!1!  I don't think they are impartial judges at this point.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Andrea

***

Sorry I didn't reply sooner! I'm at a festival. I did see ZOOLANDER a second time, in 2006 or thereabouts, and I remember still laughing a lot but feeling like I would probably ease off on my "A" grade a little. Comedy is too subjective to debate, though. If it don't make you laugh, it don't make you laugh. 

Best,
Eric

So, there you have it.  My brush with celebrity!  I'm practically a celebrity myself now!  Almost like the time I shook hands with Eddie Van Halen!

(Just for the record, I did watch Clue again as I promised.  I wanted to like it.  I really really did.  The whole dog poop bit at the beginning made me laugh.  Christopher Lloyd made me laugh once.  But there wasn't enough funny to justify all the running from room to room and repeating what had happened over and over and over and over and over and over.)

(I have yet to watch Zoolander again.)

(And speaking of Eric D. Snider.  This is one of the funniest things I have ever read.  I usually try to re-post it around Halloween each year.  If it is new to you, enjoy!  If you've read it before, enjoy again!)


2 comments:

Britty said...

I hated Zoolander...just didn't find it funny. Clue was entertaining, maybe not laugh-out-loud hilarious, but fun to watch. And a part of our childhood. I re-viewed The Incredible Shrinking Woman last night with the kids, talk about a flashback!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely love 'em both and think they get funnier and funnier over time.