Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Discovering a new fee

Yesterday when I opened my Discover Card statement I was shocked to discover they had charged me a $19 late fee. Since I hadn't made any late payments I called them forthwith. The following conversation ensued: (let's listen, shall we)

Me: I'm calling about the $19 late fee on my statement.

DC: Yes. What do you need to know?

Me: I need to know what I was charged a $19 late fee on my statement.

DC: Well, our system shows that you didn't make a payment last month.

Me: I didn't make a payment? How odd. What was my balance last month?

DC: Let's see. It looks like you had a zero balance last month.

Me: ...

DC: Is there anything else I can help you with?

Me: ...

DC: Ma'am?

Me: ...

DC: Oh! I see your point! Let me take care of that for you right away...


I was glad I didn't have to spell it out for her.

1 comment:

Shauna said...

I'm so glad it worked out. I was really worried the story was going to end with her telling you there was some new policy in which you have to send in your statement every month even if no money is due.