Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Who?

We're shorthanded today and I made the mistake of answering the phone at work just now... remind me to never do that again.

Me: Good afternoon, (company name). How may I direct your call?

Him: Is this the Sacramento store?

Me: Yes, it is.

Him: Lemme talk to Lori.

Me: I'm sorry. There's no Lori who works here.

Him: No. Loren. I want to talk to Lor-en.

Me: Oh, I'm sorry. Loren just comes in as needed. He's not here today. Is there someone else who can help you?

Him: No. Larry. I want to talk to Larry.

Me: Sir, I'm sorry. There's no Larry here. Maybe if you tell me what you need I can direct your call to someone who can help you.

Him: I want to talk to Larry... in maintenance.

Me: Maintenance? Like, you want to talk to our janitor?

Him: *sigh* Maintenance. Larry. He's a maintenance guy... you know, like he works on the engines and stuff.

Me: A mechanic? We don't have a mechanic named Larry, but I can connect you to the service department.

Him: *exasperated* Yes. The service department. That's what I want.

So, I transfer him to the service manager. Five seconds later, I hear the service manager paging over the intercom.

"Sales, line one. Sales, line one."

No comments: