Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Desert or dessert

One of the checkout coupons I received during my last trip to the supermarket was for $1.50 off the new whole-grain pop-tarts. Don't get me wrong, whole-grain pop-tarts do not sound appetizing to me at all, but when they went on sale, I couldn't pass up such a great deal. (It was 50 cents for the whole box, after the sale and the coupon.)

I figured it was possible that they tasted better than the picture on the box made them look. After all, we sometimes buy whole grain bread that is almost exactly like white bread. Amazing? Yes. True? Pretty much.

I opened the first foil package of whole-grain pop-tarts yesterday and eyed the contents suspiciously. It was just as unappetizing-looking as I thought it would be. I broke off a corner and gave it an experimental nibble.

Let's be honest. Pop-tarts tend to be a little on the dry side, especially if eaten uncooked, as I generally do. And, one would think that maybe, just maybe, a whole-grain product might be just a teensy bit more dry than the non-whole-grain version of the same product. One might also think that, in anticipation of this phenomenon, steps might be taken to mask or alleviate the dryness. On a pop-tart these steps might include adding more strawberry filling or perhaps more icing.

But no, the makers of these pop-tarts opted to use LESS filling and LESS icing. There's just a drizzle of icing. There's just a dab of filling.

I could understand this if the pop-tarts were being actively marketed as "reduced-sugar" or "low fat," but they're not. They are simply marketed as "Whole-grain, natural goodness."

And they are simply awful. I almost had to drink my first glass of milk in 20 years, just to choke it down. So, if anyone wants a free whole-grain pop-tart, let me know. I have 6 more here in my desk for you.

2 comments:

Bertie said...

Can you mail me one?? I'd love to play food critic to these whole wheat bars! Let me know:)LOL!

Shauna said...

Firstly, I don't think that pop tarts were really meant to be categorized as dessert. I mean, let's be honest, it's intended to eat for breakfast, no?

Secondly, I'm guessing that it would be pretty difficult to market a product as "whole grain natural goodness" when over half of said product is some kind of jelly-like artificially fruit flavored food product and FROSTING.

Can't you get a donut for 50 cents anywhere? Seems that's what you were REALLY looking for. :p